Always a beautiful and popular choice, real hardwood flooring adds instant warmth and value to any home. Making the decision to replace any other flooring material with hardwood is a no-brainer decision for almost any room in the house. Though there is always lifestyle and price factors to consider, we believe that you really can’t go wrong if hoping to make the switch to hardwood. However, with so many contractors claiming to be experts in hardwood floor installation, how do you find a company that truly specializes in hardwoods? Who can you trust? Well, experienced contractors know that its the details that matter, that your lifestyle and needs determine your flooring, and that there exists a hardwood for almost any budget. Finding that installation company that you can trust to guide you to making the right decision can be tough however. Here are our tips for getting through the process and ending up with a floor that you and your family love:
- Ask around – The best source for reliable information would be people you know. Ask friends, family, coworkers and neighbors whom you trust to provide you with names of contractors and flooring professionals. Other resources would be other contractors that know of a company’s reputation and even your local hardware store. They know which contractors skimp on the quality materials and which ones stay busier.
- Do your research – Once your search has been narrowed down to three or four contractors, take some time to research their history. Internet review sites, can be somewhat helpful to see what complaints people have posted but remember, people are much more likely to post a nasty comment than a positive review. Back up internet research by making phone calls to your local licensing boards and check their standing with the Better Business Bureau. When a complaint is filed with the BBB, they do the work to track down what happened and whether the company worked to resolve the issue to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Conduct interviews – Schedule appointments with those that have passed these previous tests to ask further questions and to get a feel of how and when they will approach your flooring project. Pay attention to the recommendations they make and whether they are considering your needs and concerns. Ask for referrals. If any contractor is uncomfortable with providing you with names and numbers of past clients, view that as a red flag. Most contractors and flooring installers are proud of their happy customers and are ready to give you a list. Ask whatever questions you need to ensure that you are going to be comfortable working with this company.
- Get it in writing – Make sure to get estimates, date of arrival, estimated length of project and other factors nailed down in a written proposal. Labor and material costs should be outlined, the terms of payment are explained in an easy-to-understand description and any specifics that are out of the ordinary should be highlighted.
Because your flooring project is likely to be one that will require a considerable investment, it’s imperative that you protect the value of your home and the health of your budget and take your time to find the hardwood flooring installer that is perfect for you and your needs.
- NWA Flooring: Types of Finish for your Hardwood Floors
- How to Choose a Pet Friendly floor in NWA
- Choosing Laminate Flooring in NWA? Here’s what to look for